Preparing for Your VetLink Consultation
To prepare for your VetLink Mobile Imaging consultation, please follow these guidelines:
- Pets should not have food for 12 hours before an ultrasound or endoscopy. Water should be withheld for 2 hours prior to the appointment. Please contact us if there are unique concerns about this period of fasting.
- Pets should ideally not urinate for at least 2 hours prior to ultrasound.
- A sedation protocol should be prepared ahead of time. Although sedation is only occasionally required, please have a protocol and doses prepared in case sedation is required. The use of oral gabapentin or trazodone are good options in certain patients. Analgesia is recommended for pets with a painful abdomen.
- At least one staff member will be needed to help position, restrain and comfort the pet. Large dogs, painful animals or anxious pets often require two staff members.
- A room that allows for lower light levels will be needed in order to perform ultrasound. Exam or procedure rooms are a good option.
- If possible, it is appreciated if you are able to shave the abdomen prior to our arrival.
- Please acquire approval for FNAs or biopsies prior to the exam. Assessment of coagulation status may be requested in certain cases. Please feel free to contact us ahead of time if there are questions.